Matcha Latte Almond Cookies



Sometimes a little bit o'melancholy outside and inside + the inability to be in all the places of one's heart because they are separated by time and oceans = afternoon nap time spent making something new in the kitchen.

One of my happy things is when I can make a meal or a treat that has parts of more than one culture in it.  I know some call this "fusion," but for me it's less glamorous than that and more about real people, places, senses, colors and memories that make me feel alive and remind me where I have come from.

So, today,  it was Matcha Latte Almond Cookies.  I found a few recipes for Matcha cookies online, but tweaked and adjusted them to use what I had on hand.  The motivation arose from a mix of memories of my childhood in Japan, missing afternoon Kaffee und Kuchen breaks in Germany and a very present day desire for something sweet (and brand new) to eat.

Here's the recipe for any of you who need a little afternoon travel adventure in a cookie:

Matcha Latte Almond Cookies

1 cup of Flour
1 tbsp of Matcha Latte powder (I used Trader Joe's)
1/8 tsp of salt
1/2 C (1 stick) softened butter
1/2 C confectioner's sugar
1 tsp of almond extract (optional)

Sift together the flour, matcha powder and salt in a medium sized bowl.

In a larger bowl, cream the softened butter and the confectioner's sugar on a low speed until creamy.  Add the almond extract if using.  Next, slowly add the dry mix while blending on a low-speed until dough is formed.

Roll the dough into a long 1 1/2 inch wide log on plastic wrap, then cover it up and freeze it for 30 min.

Preheat the oven 320 degrees and take the semi-frozen log and cut into 1/2 in circles.  Bake for 15-18 min on a baking sheet, 2 inches apart.

Dust with Matcha Latte powder.

Enjoy!
Post a Comment