Good music, and hair like mine

If you are friends with me in real life, or on FB or IG, you might already know how excited I am about this new-to-me-band.  They are called Run River North and their I love their sound.  Another reason I am so excited about them is because they are a Korean American indie folk rock band.  You might wonder why I am making a big deal about the Korean American part.  If you are part of the majority when it comes to race, may I be blunt?

You cannot naturally understand why this is so important unless you are a minority.

I don't write that to make anyone feel guilty.  My heart is not in that place.  I say it because it's an often overlooked truth and yet I believe there is hope in and beyond that statement.  If you aren't a minority, you cannot naturally understand why this is so important, but you can begin to understand more.  If you, like me, whether majority or minority,  want to follow Tasha Morrison's beautiful example (she lead the race panel at the IF:Gathering earlier this month and writes important and beautiful stuff over at her blog) in being a Bridge Builder,  then I would challenge you to think about why all of this is so important for me and for you.  If you are Christ-follower, I would challenge you to think about why this is important for your church community and The Church.

Up until high school, I was fortunate to grow up in many multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, diverse settings, both overseas and in my own country.   I also come from a multi-racial and multi-cultural home and family.  Despite that, I easily picked up on the fact that most "American" faces represented in the media and just about everywhere in popular culture and even in the church,  did not look like me.  People from my own country and communities asked "where I was from."  People from other countries made comments about how I didn't look like an "American." How could I blame them, when the media overwhelmingly portrayed just one skin tone and one racial perspective?

So, when I found out about Run River North recently, and listened to their music and saw their faces, I felt so much joy.  My little kimchi-eating boys, who don't often see large groups of Korean Americans or mixed Asian Americans where we live in the midwest, listened to and watched you tube videos of their songs with me in the middle of lego building sessions.  At one point, as he pointed his 6 year old finger at the screen on my phone, my oldest said, "he looks like me -he has hair like mine."  And I could have cried.  Okay, maybe I did just a little bit.  I loved saying, "yes, they are Korean American, like you."

It matters.  It matters for more than me and my family.

Take a listen to Run River North; their music will bring beauty into your day, I promise.

picture from Run River North website
Post a Comment